Overall Purpose of the Role
The data lineage & metadata management BA will be an integral part of the delivery of the Group data strategy within the RFT data management office. The role will focus on working on specific business units to identify, document and maintain data lineage for RFT Critical Data Elements (CDEs). The holder will be supporting all DL activities including liaising with BAU teams to identify and define RFT CDEs in the strategic metadata tool, and document the data lineage for that CDE by updating the system templates and flows contained within the strategic data lineage tool.
Data lineage documentation and maintenance
- Support the DL documentation activities for RFT ensuring it is documented across all data domains
- Maintain the data lineage and process flow diagrams associated to the key data domains for RFT
- Support the preparation of data lineage workshops
- Identify BU and systems where DES is applicable and sources of data used across all BUs.
- Identify critical data elements across DES for each BU and relevant data element owners per BU.
- Identify any lineage issues, duplications or breaks in lineage, track, report and plan remediation.
- Maintain RFT Service catalogue in line with CDO framework
- Escalate issues through the VP reporting line to group data councils and assist in the remediation.
Data domain activation and maintenance
- Support the data domain activation activities for RFT.
- Support the identification and creation of new data domains and CDE under the ownership of RFT.
- Review and ensure alignment of Data Entity Standards (DES) across Data Family and ratify with all BU.
- Work closely with domain experts and CDOs within Business Units (BUs) as well as specialists with RFT technology and operations functions.
- Maintain metadata glossary for data domains and Critical Data Elements (CDEs).
- Data management councils.
Authoritative sources management
- Support the activities to identify and establish ADS.
- Maintain the ADS information in the metadata tool.
- Work alongside data architecture teams to help identify and track migration of RFT processes to the authoritative data sources.
- Support the change management and annual review process attestation process to ensure the artifacts are kept current.
- Engage with SMEs across functions, business and programs to work on the creation of data models for core data groups/entities within Barclays.
- Build and maintain collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders and subject matter experts in each stakeholder population.
- Manage and maintain the flow of communication between key stakeholders across the group.
- Engage with stakeholders across multiple functions and areas (Risk, Finance and Treasury).
- Work with individuals at all levels of seniority.
- Manage conflicts and drive discussions to reach a common consensus.
Skills and experience
- Strong understanding of data management concepts with ability to identify and solutionise data issues
- Strong attention to detail & willingness to learn and be curious
- Excellent communication skills and track record of operating amongst senior management teams
- Experience in facilitating large workshops / running cross-border meetings
- A self-starter able to work with high level guidance, and a clear end goal
- Must be willing to be hands-on for complex data analysis efforts
- Capacity to work proactively with colleagues across the organisation to build transparent, lasting relationships, delivering real value to the organisation
- [Desirable] previous experience working on database solutions
- [Desirable] experience in risk, finance and/or treasury areas of corporate and/or investment banking
- [Desirable] understanding relational databases, risk systems / architecture
- [Desirable] experience of working across global organisations
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BSc/BEng).
- Experience in data management.
- Understanding of risk, finance and treasury functions within banking industry.
- Knowledge of project lifecycle methods (e.g. software development lifecycle, Agile) and understanding of the principles and frameworks of successful project management.
- Excellent MS-Office skills, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word, MS Project and Visio skills.
Decision making and problem solving
- Able to analyse complex and technical information.
- Able to quickly adapt to change.
- Able to work both independently and a proven team player.