My client is an international general insurance and reinsurance group specialising in commercial insurance.
Purpose of the Job:
This role sits within the Analytics department reporting in to the Head of Analytics. The Analytics Team are responsible for delivering leading edge data analytics within the business, developing business insight and improving underwriting risk selection and pricing through the use of internal and external data sources. The Data Scientist will use big data and machine learning techniques to deliver actionable insight that provides value to the business.
- Participate in data and analytics research and development activities in support of the company's overall business strategy.
- Understand business objectives and support the development of predictive models for use across key processes including pricing and risk selection.
- Merge, manage, interrogate and extract data to supply tailored analytics to colleagues, customers or the wider organisation.
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand data needs and report results.
- Use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems.
- Horizon scan to stay up to date with latest technology, techniques and methods.
- Conduct research from which you'll develop prototypes and proof of concepts.
- Look for opportunities to use insights/datasets/code/models across other functions in the organisation.
- Stay curious and enthusiastic about using algorithms to solve problems and enthuse others to see the benefit of your work.
- Expand knowledge of insurance products, markets, processes and challenges.
- Collaborate and provide support to other business teams for predictive modelling and other ongoing projects.
- Actively participate in other research-related initiatives
- Working with the business and IT to identify, integrate and maximise value for new data sources, in addition to maximising value of existing data sources.
- Management of all aspects of delivery process, including requirements gathering, development, testing, and release management (working with other MI teams and IT).
- Delivery of ad hoc analytics, and other proof of concept and tactical solutions
- Robotics, Natural Language Programming
- Working with the wider Fairfax network, including liaising with FairVentures, Fairfax innovation working group and other Fairfax entities to understand opportunities for collaboration and applicability of initiatives to Brit.
- Participate in group's Risk, Pricing and Analytics Committee (RPAC) and related sub-groups when required.
Required skills and abilities
The successful candidate will likely have 2-3 years' experience within a commercial Data Science function following a numerical degree e.g. Math, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Advanced PC and technical skills, including
- Statistical programs (ex: R, SAS, MATLAB, OR Python),
- Spreadsheets (VBA)
- Visualisation (e.g. DAX)
- Database applications (Access, Oracle, SQL or equivalent technology)
- Advanced knowledge in econometrics, statistics, math and/or computational finance
- Ability to quickly adapt to new methods, work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Ability to work well within a team environment, participate in department/team projects and balance detail with departmental objectives
- Strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received
- Strong ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to resolve conflict and foster teamwork
- Extensive experience utilising data science in a commercial environment
- Master's degree or PhD in Statistics, Actuarial Science, Business, Finance, Economics, or related field
- Ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Investigative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of actuarial concepts including pricing and reserving
- Knowledge of commercial insurance products
- Solid experience with R, SAS, MATLAB or Python
- Knowledge of SQL, VBA, DAX & MDX
- Knowledge of insurance risk analysis
- Experience in computational finance, econometrics, statistics and math
We are looking for an individual who can focus on getting things done. With ongoing heavy investment in these projects and the broader IT space, there will be lots to do - the successful candidate will be someone who can handle that.
At work you will be expected to act with due skill, care and diligence while maintaining professional integrity and pay due regard to the interests of customers, treat them fairly and act in proper standards of market conduct. You will need to be open and co-operative with Lloyd's of London, the FCA, the PRA, and other regulators.
You will be joining a small, highly collaborative and friendly team. Based in the city centre, you'll be in a modern building, well designed office with a great canteen. This doesn't come with quite the same level of corporate stiffness however, as the company has traded in the 'suited and booted' approach for something more 'dress for the day you have'.
Finally, if you're interested, we won't drag out the interviews - this is going to be a 2 stage process and the client want to move quickly. So if you think this could be for you, don't hesitate, apply now!
Eames Consulting is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.