I’m working with one the UK’s leading general insurers who need to appoint a head of compliance to lead, direct and oversee the insurance compliance team. Because of the increasing complexity (and scale) of the firm’s regulatory agenda, you will need to be a strategic thinker and not a monochromatic operator. This position is not about salami slicing of a regulatory process; the strategic challenge in managing the systemic and institutional risks affecting the firm requires regulatory creativity and the grasping of every possible opportunity.
As head of insurance compliance you will be responsible for:
- Implementing a compliance strategy and ensuring appropriate regulatory standards, approach and policy are adopted within the business
- Working closely with and supporting executive management team to drive the regulatory agenda and culture across the firm
- Proving assurance to the UK Insurance Board as to the levels of compliance across the company
- Managing the relationship with the FCA and PRA and implementing various initiatives, policy and processes
You will report directly into the group head of compliance and if you are a manager or deputy head of looking for the next step up and greater responsibility then you may want to explore this position further. The insurance sector as a whole is relocating much of its back office functions (including compliance) outside of London. This could be the right time and perfect opportunity to gain the requisite experience at a senior level in order to maintain long term career progression.
The company regularly features in The Sunday Times Top Companies to work for and consistently wins multiple awards for its excellent customer service. The business specialises in personal (car, travel, van, home etc.) and business (employer’s liability, professional indemnity etc.) insurance cover and is at the forefront of innovation when it comes to how best to utilise technology to improve the customer experience.
Key skills & experience
- In-depth knowledge of applicable financial services regulation and legislation ideally within the insurance industry
- Excellent people management skills and experience of developing and managing a team
- Excellent communication, planning, project management and influencing skills
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills at senior management level